Principal Compilers Engineer
At Pulumi, we’re building the Cloud Engineering Platform enabling the future of developer-first infrastructure. We believe that programming the cloud should be just as productive, joyful, and flow-inducing as your local dev loop. We want to make janky internal developer portals and homegrown infrastructure DSLs a thing of the past. Every engineer deserves delightful tools.
We employ a unique philosophy toward achieving this goal:
- We succeed and fail as a team
- An inclusive environment bubbles the best ideas to the top
- Our customers sit at the center of every decision
- We achieve the best results through openness and honesty, even when uncomfortable
- Work smart, but bias for action and results
- Our natural curiosity for technology keeps us always learning
- Think big, dream, and define the future of engineering in the cloud
While Pulumi is headquartered in Seattle, WA., we are dedicated to being a remote first company. This role will be located remotely in the United States or Europe.
Our team builds and maintains the github.com/pulumi/pulumi open-source project. Thousands of companies rely on Pulumi to program the cloud and safely deploy infrastructure every day.
On any given day at Pulumi you might find yourself:
- Working on the code generators that translate our universal cloud resource schema into SDKs in Go, TypeScript, Python, C#, Java.
- Designing programming models and type systems, including our homegrown cloud monads, Input[T] and Output[T].
- Writing transpilers and program generators that take intermediate targets (such as YAML, or HCL) and produce full fidelity, functional Pulumi programs.
- Building multi-language and multi-runtime matrix testing frameworks.
- Adding new features to our desired state configuration engine.
- Analyzing coverage metrics and writing proposals to add fuzz and property testing to key areas of our codebase.
- Designing open-source APIs, SDKs, and public facing developer tools.
We’re Looking For Someone With:
We’re hiring motivated engineers from entry-level to principal, but it helps if you have experience and excitement for:
- Designing APIs, SDKs, developer tools.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience in multiple programming languages such as Go, TypeScript, Python, Java, C#, Rust, Kotlin, Scala, Haskell, Ruby, F#, Lisp.
- Systematic problem-solving approach, first principles and critical thinking skills, good design sensibilities.
- Mindset of a community builder, focus on driving users and contributors to success.
- Understanding of compilers, graph algorithms, data structures, and software architecture.
- Experience with deployment orchestration and infrastructure as code tools.
- Base Salary Hiring Range: $180,500 to $227,850
- All full time employee offers at Pulumi include base salary, bonus or variable, equity and benefits (details below).
- Health - We offer competitive medical, dental, vision, and supplemental insurance. It is free for our direct employees to be on our insurance.
- Time Off - Unlimited personal time off (PTO) we ask that employees take at least 3 weeks off during the year in addition to the two annual company-wide wellness weeks.
- Parental Leave - 20 weeks paid parental leave for the birthing parent or primary caregiver, and 16 for non-birthing parent or secondary caregiver.
- Remote-First - We are a 100% remote-first company with employees in nearly 20 states, and growing internationally; we encourage asynchronous communication and autonomy. We also provide an annual work from anywhere fund to help cover the employee costs of working remotely.
- Professional Development & Growth - We encourage a lifelong learning mindset and every employee is given an annual professional development budget.
- Equity - As a small but growing startup, we all act like owners and you will earn equity in the company.
- Additional Funds - We offer employees a monthly wellness fund to be spent on anything physical and/or mental wellbeing related. We also provide a quarterly happiness fund to be used toward anything that makes our employees happy!
Pulumi is reimagining how developers and DevOps teams create and manage cloud software, through a unique combination of developer tools and system innovation. The company leads with an open source platform that embraces real programming languages, tools, and techniques, and offers an innovative SaaS product that helps team collaborate.
Pulumi was founded in 2017 by developer and cloud experts from many corners of our industry to deliver innovative approaches to cloud software development. Since emerging from stealth in mid-2018, we are accelerating our platform momentum and product adoption. The team is built on a culture of openness, diversity, respect, and thinking big.
At Pulumi, we don't just accept difference, we look for it, celebrate it, support it, and thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our customers. Pulumi is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.