Senior Claims Counsel
Who we are at Embroker
Embroker is the radically simple destination for industry-tailored commercial insurance. Our mission is to make it radically easier for businesses to get the right coverage at the best price. With a technology-first, customer-centric approach, Embroker is changing how businesses protect themselves, their staff, and their customers. In 2015, Embroker has raised over $150M in funding from leading fintech investors.
BASE SALARY $150,000 - $200,000
* POSITION CAN SIT REMOTELY ANYWHERE IN THE US.
As an early member of the Claims team, you will play a critical role within the Embroker Insurance group by providing key feedback on claim systems and processes. This position will manage a variety of EPL, D&O, Cyber, Crime and Fiduciary claims and conduct detailed coverage analysis and critical claim management to drive cost effective and timely resolutions while providing first-in-class service to our policyholders. This position will also closely collaborate with Claims and Insurance team leadership, and internal data, actuarial, and distribution teams.
- Complete accurate and timely claim investigations into coverage, liability, and damages.
- Proactively manage pending claims to drive timely and cost-effective resolutions.
- Proactively evaluate potential exposure on assigned claims to recommend and set appropriate reserves, and thereafter manage regular review of case reserves for accuracy.
- Build and maintain positive and productive working relationships with internal and external customers, including, but not limited to, policyholders, underwriters, data and actuarial teams, and carrier partners.
- Direct and actively monitor assignments to outside counsel, experts and other panel vendors.
- Actively participate in settlement negotiations including virtual or in-person attendance at private mediations and court ordered settlement conferences.
- Support data collection efforts by effectively capturing relevant data in claim management software.
- Identify and escalate insights into emerging claims trends across industries, geographies, and key business segments.
- Offer user-level feedback and insights to support the continuous improvement of our claim handling processes, guidelines, and systems.
- At least 10+ years of professional experience, with at least 7 years of experience litigating or managing professional liability claims. Previous carrier experience is preferred but not required.
- Bachelor’s degree required; JD preferred but not required.
- Must possess all required state claim adjuster licenses, or be able to obtain them within 90 days of hire.
- Proven ability to work both independently on complex matters and collaboratively as a team player to assist others as needed.
- High level of personal initiative and leadership skills. Prior experience managing a team preferred by not required.
- Exceptional time management, problem solving and organizational skills.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Prolonged periods of time sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Ability to perform at a high-level in a remote work environment.
- Ability to travel to mediations, trials, etc. as necessary (10-15%).
The Embroker Pack lives by three core values that have taken us from an idea to a growing, well-funded player in the Insurtech space.
We succeed and fail as one team. We optimize for what is best for our entire organization. We always assume positive intent.
We are 100% committed. We move fast and are proud of what we build. We attack challenges with relentless positivity.
We strive to amaze and delight at every touchpoint. We make our work fun through teamwork, play, and positive energy.
We believe that systemic structures and practices disproportionately disadvantage the most marginalized people in society — including people of color, people from working-class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQ people. We believe that these communities must be represented and included in the work we do to make our Pack stronger and more creative, and improve the way we do business. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or members of other marginalized communities.